Monday, September 3, 2012

MFA Post


Monday.

Today, I am secluded in the studio while the masses celebrate Labor Day by not laboring. I find this odd. At any rate, it's been three months and change since I last posted something here, so let's get right to it, shall we?

I'm told that my usual rambling approach to blogging may be off-putting and that some of you may lose interest half way through and wander away.

Fuck it.
Your loss.

There are big things happening with your Local Artist @ Large... Namely, I have begun the masters program at the Columbus College of Art and Design. I'm pretty pumped. The campus is awesome, my new studio space is super sweet and everyone I've met so far is, in their own right, totally amazing.

And I'm not just saying that because of my digital culture class, where we are meant to post weekly, review each others progress in the virtual world and in general, beef up our “Google footprint.”

(ahem)

Anyway. I've been thinking a lot about what I need to get done as a student, as a professional and as a somewhat manic guy living his life and how all these elements seem to intermingle. It feels cluttered. I hate clutter. So, this weekend has been about me sorting shit out and making lists.

I LOVE lists, especially “to-do” lists. In fact, as I write this, I have successfully checked off no less than eight things from today's list. Yeah, that's right: EIGHT. Suck it.

:)

The project that I had in mind for this semester went through a few drafts before, just after my third bowl of chocolate cheerios, I had an epiphany. Or maybe gas. Either way, I now have a clearer idea of what to do so, now I can move forward. Essentially, I will be doing some painting and diving into my troubled past as I focus on the idea of isolation and abandonment. Not very cheery I'm afraid, but a long overdue step in my continuing evolution as an artist. More on that later.

Professionally, I am coming out of a long slump which was coming out of a long run of high productivity. This has to happen from time to time and while frustrating as it can be, one must honor the rest cycle as we prepare for what's next.

Personally, I have been juggling big, life-altering decisions that threaten to overwhelm me resulting in this nagging feeling of bemused excitement inter-dispersed with blinding, piss-yourself terror. I've been coping by way of heavy lifting at the gym and the occasional bag of M&Ms.

Life's funny.

2 comments:

Ohmygoshko.com said...

Glad to see you back on here! Also, "international adoption"...are you guys thinking of moving? Or does that literally mean you'll be adopting an international human? ;)

David said...

Glad to be back! At this time I cannot fully comment on your comment, save to say that after we complete our respective MFA programs, the wife and I have plans to relocate to Rome where I will pursue a PHD in Art History and she immerses herself in oversees ESL...