Thursday, February 14, 2008

Lucky In Love

Ah, Valentine’s Day… The big let-down:

“It’s so commercial!”
“It’s sexist!!”
“Happy couples make me sick!!!”

Fuck you all.

I do not share your cynicism of Valentine’s Day...

I've always loved it, stupid red hearts and all. Maybe it’s just me that the retail gods cater to – don’t know, don’t care. What I do know is that I can’t seem to get enough of the mushy sentimentality, cherry cordials and random “humpings.” Call me a “hopeless romantic” if you like, I take it as a compliment.

Sure, if you’re alone – in whatever capacity and for whatever reason – VD can be about as fun as slamming your wobbly bits in a drawer over and over and over and over again.

I get that. I’ve been there. I understand disappointment. Trust me – I’ve sifted through enough idiotic, self absorbed, shallow, over-grown, pseudo intellectual, “why doesn’t the world revolve around me” women than I’m comfortable admitting. So much so, that just before meeting my perfect somebody, I had come to the conclusion that anything I could get from a woman I could just as easily get from a bottle of hand cream.

Yeah, that's right -- fuck you Candace Bushnell -- a good woman is just as hard to find.

(Oops! There I go ranting again...)

So. My advice? Don’t set yourself up for failure by “expecting” anything from your (insert comfortable euphemism here) – That’s as stupid as it is selfish and you will – more than likely – be disappointed. Set the bar a little lower and let yourself be pleasantly surprised. After all, Valentine’s Day is just supposed to be an excuse to take things up a notch.

Nothing more.

(please keep your corporate conspiracy theories to yourself)

Go out there and kick some ass… have fun. Be silly. If you're single -- take this as an opportunity to do something completely stupid and spontaneous because the bottom line kiddies, is this: the whole “Romance thing” goes both ways. That is, what you get out of a relationship is directly proportionate to what you put into it.

Always and without exception.

Happy freakin’ Valentine’s Day!!!

No comments: